You finally are away on your well deserved vacation. Congrats on prioritizing your self care in taking time away! You prepped your colleagues at work and your pet sitter is managing the home front. Now is the time to maximize your time away. No matter where you go or what your plan is, your vacation should provide a change of daily life, a boost to your wellness and self care and a way to make a memory for yourself and your family to reflect on through the next year or beyond.
Start with a digital detox
We have been glued to our screens for a long while now. Every day seemed to bring new complex situations. This vacation could be the perfect time for a digital detox. The reasons are clear that we need time to be present and in the moment with those with us on vacation, as well as time to just sit. Create a common charging spot for your devices and place them in this area each morning and night. Be intentional about your time on vacation. Choose activities that engage you and fulfill your spirit. In the evening set up card games or family games. You will return to your job more productive.
Be intentional and organized about time away
Break your trip into segments that work for your energy level. There are options for everyone during vacation.
- New experiences, new connections and learning are exciting and engaging. Decide what kind of experience you want to have while you are on vacation. Think about hobbies and interests you may not have time for at home. Consider finding local adventures like zip lining or mindfulness opportunities like yoga. You can find cooking lessons or try new cuisine while away. Choosing something out of your every day experience that brings you energy and joy.
- Choose the time you spend with family. We are excited to see family that we have not seen in a while. It can be exhilarating and exhausting. When you feel ready to take a break, spend the time on your own regrouping. Set aside times during the day that you can be together and apart.
- Maybe this year vacation is all about peace and quiet. Many of us are depleted of energy and motivation after this difficult year. Intentionally choose to sit and relax. Choose a beautiful view to sit and be quiet. Take a walk in silence to start or end your day. Head to bed extra early while away to gain on your sleep schedule. Being on the go can leave you exhausted after your vacation.
Give yourself re-entry time
A rushed re-entry into real life can take away from your most relaxing vacation. Give yourself the opportunity to easy back into work and life.
- Bring back a little keepsake, a photo or something to keep your vacation in mind all summer. That photo can be placed where you see it daily, especially on your phone screen.
- Get back earlier than you might think. This will give you time to catch up on laundry and meals at home.
- Start by making a list of what needs to be done, prioritize your list and make a plan. Not everything needs to be done the first day or week back.
- Allow for time at work for catching up on email. Share responses that acknowledge receipt and time to get back into work flow.
- Give yourself breaks when you return to work. Conversations with colleagues when you start the day, a walk in the middle of the day, and a recap of productivity at the end of the day make it easier.
The pay off to your productivity is huge if you have truly spent your time away regrouping, resetting and refreshing.
The post 3 Tips to Maximize Your Vacation While You Are Away appeared first on Ellen's Blog, Professional Organizing for Kingwood & Houston.